Trekking in the Dhauladhar is indeed a very different experience than trekking in the Himalaya. The close proximately of the Range to the plains means a very short drive to approach the trekking regions, which is indeed welcome for many who don't like long mountain drives on winding roads. But the close proximity also results in the region having its own unique weather pattern as weather can change in no time. The walk up to Kareri Lake can be done leisurely in three days. The walk up to Minkiani Pass from the Kareri Lake and back is demanding and care has to be taken to negotiate loose rock. From the Minkiani Pass you get views of the Chamba and Brahmour side.
May, June, September and October
Cross over into Chamba
1. Mclordganj is a great place to start and end a trek
2. Closely observe life of the Gaddi’s
3. Stunning campsites at Kareri Lake
4. Scramble through technical sections on the way to the pass
5. Imposing views from the Minkiani Pass of peaks in Kashmir