With access inside the Nanda Devi Sanctuary being restricted there are very few locations from where one can spot the twin peaks of Nanda Devi from close. The trail from the Pachu valley approaches the twin peaks from the north and on a clear day the peaks look in touching distance. The approach to Pachu is most interesting as the trail moves through some dramatic locations including a through a high gorge. In addition to all this multiple villages including Martoli as well as the Nanda Devi temple at Martoli added an interesting element.
May and October
Trek to the basecamp of Nanda Devi East
1. Kumaon as a trekking destination is seldom visited as compared to Garhwal
2. Dramatic walk up the Milam valley through high gorges
3. Opportunity to walk through and camp at historic villages like Martoli
4. Dramatic view of twin peaks of Nanda Devi
5. Superb view of Kumaon peaks from Chakori